Monday, May 26, 2014

Thanks on Memorial Day

As Memorial Day winds down, I wanted to share this message I received from a patient of mine who has been in recovery, and on methadone, for "14+ years" as he describes it. He's currently helping older, Russian speaking people at a nursing home. This is how he described the experience -- a fitting note of thanks on Memorial Day.

                 I saw the struggles of not being able to communicate. Many of them being of Jewish decent &        surviving WW2.

I felt an obligation to not only translate, but to help them to be as comfortable/dignified as possible towards the end of their lives.

I told one Gentleman who fought at Stalingrad where 2 million people died fighting the German offensive. 
I told him that I might not exist without his Sacrifice.